Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Greetings from the Husband!

    
     My name is Max and I am Julia's Husband. I just found out that Julia was doing this blog and I was eager to submit a post. I think this is a great idea for us to vent some of our frustrations as we navigate through our required separation. 

  As the best and happiest summer of our entire lives comes screaming to a stop, it is just as abruptly becoming a terrible nightmare. Reality has set in, we will now spend the next four months alone separated by 5000 miles.

   Our summer began as soon as the spring semester let out. I finished my last semester exam of Junior year on May 14th and the following day I was on a plane headed for Deutschland. I was off to marry Julia in her home country with all of our family. She had spent her final semester of college living with me in the states and had left for home only a few weeks prior but it felt like we had been separated for an eternity.


         The wedding was amazing. Surely one to be remembered. My family (most of them) had never left the United States so this was a whole new experience for them. My family being primarily of German decent made the trip extra special. Growing up hearing stories from our grandparents about the hinterland has always romanticized Germany for us. Julia and I were equally as excited to have them there with us in that tiny chapel in Tarp as we shared our life long promise to one another.


Where we were married


    After a week my family went back to the states and it was sad to see them go. I really wish that someday they will return for an extended stay. 
 
Family and Friends



      This summer wasn't my first time living in a foreign country but it was definitely a new experience for me. I was eager to get to know my new family and wanted to really soak in the German culture. That I did. 

      Julia's family immediately took me in as there own and showed me nothing but love and kindness. I truly felt accepted and it was such a relief that I fit so well into their family, I should have already known given that given the nature of my wonderful wife.




Julia's Mom's Roses


     After our wedding we took our honeymoon to the Greek Island, Rhodos. Julia must have spent three days straight planning out that perfect vacation and I am so grateful that she did because it was a spectacular trip! And it was badly needed. We were so exhausted after the wedding.

    However, It was also the first time I have ever traveled with Germans and it was a culture shock for me. I cant speak for the entire United States, but where I come from (the Midwest region) people respect personal space. So much so that they would rather be late than try to push and plow through a crowd of strange people. So for me flying with a German airline my stress level was very high but it was worth every second to be with the woman I love on those rocky beaches of the Mediterranean.


At the Beach


Shopping in Rhodos

       Besides marrying the love of my life and our unforgettable honeymoon, the best part of summer was the fact that I got to stay there long enough that me and Julia got to do some really amazing things (we visited German islands, beaches, castles, and cities among other things) but we also got to just be a normal couple for a while, staying in a small town and enjoying each-other. I also got to see her graduate college and it felt so good to be such a proud husband. It was really special. 


A Proud Husband

 
At Movie Park




 
Julia on a ride


At the Beach
        
       Now, it has been seven days since I have seen my wife and at least four months till I see her again. Wow, four months. An eternity. If you have ever been through a painful break up, you may somewhat understand because it kind of feels like that. Only here shes is the one, she is still mine yet I cannot have her. I cannot comfort her the way a normal husband can, I cannot hold her, I cant clean for her, hug her, tease her the way I can when we are together. All I can do is be thankful for the fact that technology allows us to communicate the way we do. It makes our relationship better and stronger, but while you are going through being apart you never truly feel the same as you do when you are together. Maybe for a few moments you can trick yourself to feel numb but within a split second your heart will force your mind to remember. Something will remind me of her at least every 4.5 seconds of the day. 



Tired tourists

      Just last night a character appeared on our favorite vampire show (I was already feeling guilty for watching it without her) named Julia. I was so angry. I couldn't believe someone actually thought they had the right to be named Julia. There is only one woman worthy of that name and that is my wife!!!

     But seriously, this is tough, its hard, and it sucks. But unlike a bad breakup I can wake up every morning knowing I am one day closer. I can feel comfort in the fact that no one in the world can love me more than she does as I her. I am am thankful we can do things like this blog to strengthen our love as we wait for each other. So for now we will live online supporting and loving each other from a far, knowing we are with one another always.

    Thanks for visiting and look for more of our posts. We would love to hear from you.





No comments:

Post a Comment